Saturday, June 7, 2008

Of Birthdays and (heaving sigh)

So, H's big third birthday is next week, and all he talks about is his "Buzz Birthday" and how he's going to have a Buzz cake and Buzz balloons and Buzz, buzzz, buzzzzz like a bee. Unfortunately, Buzz is just not the "in" thing right now and it has been next to impossible to fulfill every one of his requests, but we're working on it. By the way, if you ask him how old he's going to be on his birthday, he says twelve every time. I ask him if he means three and he says, "no, twelve."

I've found a design for the cake that I think I can work with, and will make it myself. He wants strawberry, and I found a pretty neat site with some tasty looking recipes for strawberry cake (among other things), so hopefully that will work well for us. I think I have cake covered. Buzz cake-check. Balloons, however, uh.... yeah I can only find those online and I'm not exactly sure how you get a mylar balloon filled if you order it online? The only place locally that I haven't tried is florists, which I just thought of, so perhaps today I'll be calling around to local florists to see who might have a Buzz Lightyear balloon.

Aside from pre-occupation with birthdays, we've been trying to keep busy in the rainy, freezing weather. Perhaps I became too acclimated to the south too fast, but now its downright freezing here. Seriously - its snowing on Mount Hood and they are still skiing (pesky pregnancy keeps me from enjoying some northwest spring skiing - boo hoo!).

Speaking of baby-to-be, things are going pretty well. 99 days until baby's due date - woo hoo for double digits! Blood sugars are pretty solid and baby has generally only been jumping and active when everyone else is, which is a blessing at this point. I miss solid, undisturbed sleep more than anything else from my pre-child days, but they will only be little for so long, I know.

K has been having nightmares lately, complaining of H taking her toys (meanwhile he is snoring beside us) and last night it was "Momma, wait for me" as if I leave her behind on a regular basis or something. I wonder if there is a dream analysis lab for the dreams of a 22 month old? Of course, I would generally love to know what she is doing/thinking when she is awake too, as she takes a crayon and draws on the bottom of her bare food while I type.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We hope Henry had a wonderful "Buzz Lightyear" birthday.
Love Jim, Jessica, Becca, And Sami