Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Musings of age

I was thinking last night as I snuck in a quick bath that I should be thinking profound thoughts and analyzing my life in some way today. Rather I was rushing to get my hair washed before C woke up hungry or K had a nightmare or H got bored with late night cartoons on Boomerang. That's about as profound as things get around here these days, although I was also debating finding myself a good quality face cream to keep the age lines from showing, but for now I guess I'll just accept them as part of me - as the kids do and my husband will if he ever gets home.

The kids and I went and made welcome home signs for F's return. The command puts them up all over the base so that people know the guys are home (and chicks too, but really there are only a relative handful of girls in the unit so let's get real, deal with being called one of the guys, you're in the military for goodness sake). It was nice, but they use house paint for durability, so I really wasn't thrilled with the kiddos "helping" if you know what I mean.

It seems odd that its less than a month until we have our big arrivals - dancin' grandma, the jolly fat man and last-but-certainly-not-least DADDY! Kind of seems like it will be a little bit of a let down after its all over, but we'll see what the new year brings.

The kids are getting a HUGE (for them) play kitchen for Christmas. I got a pretty good deal on one, I think and it just arrived. Hopefully I can figure out a way to set it up before Christmas Eve without them seeing it or grandma and I might be up most of the night assembling!
We're hoping to take the kids on a mini-vacation in January or February just because we can, and to give ourselves a break before returning to the real world - a kind of thank you to ourselves for surviving this deployment and thriving and growing.

In the meantime, I think we're going to get ourselves in the holiday spirit and go get a Christmas tree. Should be interesting trying to get a tree put up with the "helpers" here, but we'll see how it goes. So the tree ends up horizontal across the couch - whatever. We don't exactly have a Better Homes and Gardens kind of house as it is - more like something from Elmo's World (including the crayon walls - grrrr)!

Off to locate Christmas decorations and child-proof stuff to scatter about the house! And for anyone who is missing holiday cuteness...

No comments: