Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Been a few days

We're all moving on in the next few days. F is heading to Papua, New Guinea and the kids and I are off on another road trip here in a few days. We're in the process of packing up the toys and clothes and miscellaneous equipment required to travel with small children, and having a tough time dealing with cherished items being packed up for the next few days.

I think each of them will get a box of "stuff" that they are allowed to destroy and re-pack for the next few days, and they can each chose which treasures will go into those boxes. Beyond that, its all getting stuffed into the car again for another adventure.

Although its inevitable, we seem to have a great deal more "stuff" than we did when we arrived, to the point that I am seriously considering boxing some of it up and sending it along home. My only fear there is that the temporary forward I put on the mail will end up returning it all here, as the USPS does its highly efficient job of reading simple requests (no offense Auntie A!)

As for the purpose of this whole journey, the new Mr. and Mrs. S are on their mini-moon to Bonneville Hot Springs, to be followed by the official honeymoon in December to the warmer climes of Mexico. The bride was beautiful and I only hope that the flower girl didn't steal the show. I apologized in advance for the photographers taking as many photos of K as they did the bride and groom (or so it seemed). Not really my fault that the photographer fell in love with her cute little face! She was quite the ham, and I swear half of the table cameras probably have K playing with bubbles too.

The ceremony itself was beautiful, and it was tough for many not to cry - even the minister/stepfather of the groom. A's dad couldn't get the "her mother and I do" out when asked who gave her away. The new bride and groom did wonderfully, and the guests will never know that the silly Maid of Honor who offered to take care of holding on to the Bride's vows until the ceremony walked out to the staging area without them and had to do a mad dash (29 weeks pregnant in high-heeled flip flops) back to the Bride's prep room to retrieve them just in time to walk out with the Best Man. Okay, so not my finest hour, but we got them in time and didn't miss a step!

Following the wedding, the kids got to play with their cousins (H says they are his new best friends, not his cousins). We even managed to make the trek to the top of Multnomah Falls, which is not a bad hike unless you attempt it with 4 children aged 6, 3 1/2, 3 and nearly 2 years old! Dedicated hikers, they are not! K stayed in her carrier for the most part - on the front on the way up (where she fell asleep) and on my back on the trip down, during which she pulled my hair and sang to me. The boys all did really well, but wow, that was a long one mile in each direction!

H is very sad that his new best friends are gone, and I think all of us are ready to get moving on the next portion of our adventure. We had intended to wait for Monday to leave, but now I think we're heading out Saturday sometime. Family reunion, here we come!

No comments: