Monday, September 8, 2008

'Nother day, 'nother NST

Friday was fabulous, and I was pretty impressed by the new doc. He questioned me as to why my other doc was so keen to induce, and since I barely understood I told him I was as baffled as he. He said that he will let me go to 41w before mentioning induction, and then it would be brought up as an option if I were concerned and if conditions were entirely favorable.I asked about VBAC policies in their practice, and he said VBACs are the norm across the board, and that the only thing the partners diverge upon is Breech deliveries, as only 2 docs in their practice will do them (he is one). I wanted to just die right there and go to heaven (not that this baby is breech).

He said I am 1.5 cm dilated still and 50ish% effaced, but that baby is still pretty high above the pelvis, and that there should be no reason to expect baby to come soon other than the fact that baby is due to arrive soon. I loved that answer!

He also said he'd put together a little brief for the other docs in case they didn't have time to review my entire file (all 16 pages) so they knew my situation should I turn up in labour before they have a chance to meet me. He really was reassuring across the board and I feel pretty good. He said that he saw no reason a VBAC wouldn't progress normally, and no reason to induce, even the diabetes, at any point before 41w+. Woohoo! A non-interventionist MD!!!!!

Well, Saturday brought another regularly scheduled NST (since I hadn't had one since leaving MS) and of course, it was non-reactive as usual. Baby just HATES those tests. So, they had a radiologist come in for an ultrasound Bio-physical Profile (BPP), which was fine. Baby is just over 7lbs right now, so that is a good thing, and all of the markers were good so they cut me loose again.

This morning was the best NST I've had, largely because I had a whopper of a contraction just before they were going to send me for another BPP, and baby's heart did the proper acceleration and then some. So, in and out in 45 minutes, which is definitely a record for this kiddo. And since the contractions are picking up a little, there is a good chance baby will decide to show his or her face at some point in the near future (or not, stubborn little bugger - don't know where he gets that!). Not yet to that "I'm so done being pregnant" stage, but not too far off either.

Uncle C still thinks that this baby will be born on his birthday, Saturday, which is the baby's "due date" so we'll see! Hoping for a non-Thursday baby simply because I don't want the poor kiddo to be a 9/11 baby on so many levels! But, baby will, as is his or her tendency thus far, do as baby wants!

No comments: