Saturday, August 16, 2008

Peaceful revelation

So I met with my doula today and it was fabulous! She has attended a few VBAC births with my doc and only one transfer to OR and that was due to VERY high BP in the mother (240/140 or something) and that was after allowing her to labor for over 4 hours. So, I am very encouraged. I also had the chance to discuss something that has been nagging at me, and I finally was able to verbalize it, and wanted to share.

A few weeks ago, my doc brought up induction at around 37w due to my diabetes and the increased risk of stillbirth in diabetic babies. Ever since then, I have allowed my thoughts on this birth to be molded to think that I only have a few weeks left. In reality though, my due date is not until 9/13. Therefore I still have nearly a month (29d) until I am actually DUE. I know that any interventions in terms of induction, etc. will reduce the likelihood of a successful VBAC, and yet I have allowed one conversation about possible induction to color my thinking and alter my perception as to when baby is due.

I meet with my doctor on Monday (@ 36w 2d) and fully intend to let her know that I want to enjoy my last 27ish (not 7ish) days of this PG in peace without constantly rushing through what should be a really special time. Hopefully she will agree, since I have no other medical options at this point aside from skipping scheduled appts etc. which seems childish and extreme.

Just wanted to share this revelation and realization that I have several more weeks to enjoy this baby in utero before I worry about eviction and begin to enjoy this kiddo earthside!!

No comments: