Thursday, August 14, 2008

Technology stinks

Today was the fifth Non-stress Test (NST) on this little one's heart and body. And the third one in a row where he or she has decided to be uncooperative. During an NST, the machine looks for a certain number of heart accelerations (generally 3-4 in a 20 minute period) following fetal movement or contractions. For whatever reason, the "target" is a rise of 15 beats per minute. Baby's baseline tends to be about 140, so they are looking for the heart rate to rise above 155 and remain there for a given length of time before returning to baseline.

During the first NST that was "non-reactive" baby's heart rate actually decelerated a few times and I ended up on the machines for nearly four hours all told. On Monday, I spent an hour and change, and they ended up "buzzing" baby with an acoustic annoyance that is supposed to make the poor bugger squirm, which did finally work enough to get baby to perform as required. Today, another nearly two hour test, during which time baby decided that even a buzzer isn't enough to get the old heart rate pumped up. And yet, I am home today, safe and sound and no one was concerned.

Which leads me to question the need for these silly tests. I mean, if we can have a test that is not indicating what they'd like for it to indicate and no one is concerned, then why bother doing the silly test? It seems to me either there is something to be gained from the tests or there isn't, and if they are repeatedly non-reactive, and no one is concerned because the heart rate is still strong and baby is moving and such, then why subject myself to the hours on the machine and "stress" of a non-stress test?

My doctor is going to LOVE me on Monday when I see her bright and early with my latest idea of foregoing further NSTs. She already realizes that I am a little looney when it comes to testing and interventions, so this one might send her over the edge with me! Ah but what a lovely trip it will be!

No comments: