Sunday, May 4, 2008

Day One down...

Well, with the help of a few more kids videos than I would normally allow, and some seasonable weather, we survived day one. Both kids even took naps at the same time AND I got a hot bath. I should probably have cleaned up toys or prepped for our forthcoming road trip, but the bath was exactly what I needed. Right now, they are planted in front of Toy Story, which is the first thing they've agreed on all day, if I remember correctly!

We had a nice trip to the playground, and stayed just long enough to wear ourselves out, I hope. As we were talking about heading home, K said, "Go home, see Dadda," and it broke my heart to remind her that Daddy would be at work for a long time, and that we wouldn't see him. I guess I should ask someone how you're "supposed" to deal with this on a two year old level, but I don't know that I would want to do anything other than be honest, even if they have no concept of how long the time frame will be. As we left the airport this early morning, I tried to explain that we'd be going to see Grandma and Auntie A and everyone and that later we'd go see Gram/Gramp and Auntie S et al. All K had to say was that it was night-night time and that Grandma was still sleeping.

Perhaps we'll start tonight with trying to get both of them down to sleep at roughly the same time. Normally K passes out around 9:30, then H lingers until 11:00 or longer, but she also rises with the sun by 7:00 and H sleeps in, just like me, until 9:30 or later. I don't know that I can handle the less than 8 hours of sleep that this schedule entails alone, so hopefully we can make some adjustments, as we will for most everything else, I suppose.

All-in-all the day went okay. Daddy called from Dallas and we had a few last minute things to chat about, which was bittersweet. Hopefully we'll get onto Skype and able to chat online when he has access. Anyone who hasn't checked it out, should as it allows free phone call type conversations over the internet. I think F will be trying to get his account set up, so if anyone has access, make sure you send him your name so he can watch for you.

No comments: