Sunday, May 11, 2008

Thanksgiving day

No, I'm not a whack job and no, I don't think it's November. I just realized (again) today how very much I have to be thankful for. Sure, life isn't perfect, but wow, I have a lot to be thankful for this Mother's Day.

K and H both slept through the night last night, until K woke at 6, but she went back to sleep until 8:30! Basically, I was able to sleep from 12:30 when I got offline with Frank, until 8:30, which even with the short break to get K back to sleep is an eight hour night in my book. Frank wished me Happy Mother's Day just after midnight our time, and the day has been perfect ever since.

The kids woke up and wanted waffles for breakfast, which was fine by me. We were nearly out of milk (a crisis in this house) and I barely had enough to finish the waffles, much less a second cup of milk for H with breakfast - oops! After breakfast, which was eaten at the dining room table with real silverware and such, rather than in front of the TV, we headed to the grocery store to ensure that no meltdowns occurred due to a lack of milk in the home. We also bought the little princess her first Princess Pull-ups and a few other necessities.

After the commissary (grocery) run, we piled back into the car with our beach blankets, towels and swim suits and headed to the "beach" here in town. I'm not going to lie - the water is pretty gross, and the beaches are pretty dirty here (maybe going east a bit would have helped - those beaches are a tad prettier), but it suited our needs for today. We played on the beach, digging and destroying sand castles, splashing in the water and throwing sand everywhere. Since K hadn't had a morning nap, we only spent about 45 minutes there, but it was good. Both kids fell asleep on the way home so I got them into the guest room bed (didn't want the sand in their beds) and I was able to take a long shower followed by a nap of my own! I had clean sheets on the bed and the entire bed to myself and it was fantastic.

Both kids woke up in good moods, and H decided he was starving when he woke up, and wanted to make hot dogs with bread, and he wanted to do it himself. I probably don't let him help me enough with things like this. He did a great job, getting out the pan, getting them out of the fridge, opening the package, counting them out for all of us and putting them in water on the stove (yeah, I turned it on and such - help is one thing, H using the stove, not so much). He was so proud of himself and I swear he ate that hot dog like it was the best food he'd ever had. I can't believe how grown up he is getting.

And the little Princess, she really wants to be potty trained, and done with it. I can tell that she's ready. If it weren't for the upcoming road trip, I think I'd be okay with it, but... I figure we'll do whatever and she'll either start or she won't and either way it will work out. She's a smart one, and I think she'll catch on pretty quickly. Again, though, she's growing up so fast.

No comments: